PDA

View Full Version : Groups vs Random Team - Discussion

CptSolo
09-21-2012, 04:17 AM
This issue might be similar to my other thread about night times deserter penalty removal. But I think it deserves its own thread and is also even more important.

The problem is:

- Groups are strong
- Groups are quite common
- Groups often face random teams
- Groups screw the ingame team balance because group members cannot be "balanced" in the other team.

All those things cannot be changed and should not be changed. Groups should remain as they are.
I would even support ideas like increasing group sizes to 5-8.

BUT:
Groups are also causing:
- massive flame ("you are group, that is unfair")
- rage quits ("this is waste of time")
- trolling (afk, base camping, endless discussions in chat, kamikaze)
Online games always have that problem. Once a team consists of ppl who know each other, are composed or even connected through voicechat, they have a very big advantage over random teams, even if they have equal skill.

I dont say that playing as random team vs a group is bad in general, but I think its one of the reasons players leave the game or do not play crimecraft any longer after experiencing such battles more than once.
Deserter penalty is connected to that issue too (it doesent leave you a choice. you can stay in a battle vs superior enemies and have no fun, or you can leave, get deserter and cant do anything up to 5 minutes. Noone stays in such a game).

So, finally, we come to the suggested changes:

Whenever a group of 2, 3 or 4 people joins a match, the system looks up the teams of both teams have the equal number of groups. So for example one team has a group of 2 ppl and 2 randoms, the other team has a group of 4 ppl.
Now, the team with the smaller group of 2 and the 2 random players gets a general advantage like HP bonus and damage bonus. It should be a bonus that can be "felt", so about 10% each at last.

Ofc this is also connected to the star rating. A group of 4 players with an average star rating of 30 should not face 4 randoms with average star of 35 which also get a bonus when playing against them. The star rating must be connected to the bonus.

Effect:
A group would have more of a challenge facing random enemies. Also, in big games with 6 or more players on both teams, a group of 4 ppl would buff the whole enemy team and so has to play with even more effort to win, as if it was only 4vs4 (you understand?!).
The bonus is meant as a challenge for group players and as a "goodies" for random players when they face groups.
Sounds simple, eh?

Klister
09-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Well sounds not bad, but i liked more the old matchmaking system where you can see what are the current maps playing and how many players into each of them. Also when you have a high power rating you are getting a penalty if you join in match with low lvls. Another good thing, when you see a map with already 4 players in it and the match doesn't start - that means they are in one group. So you have the freedom to join in any match at any time :)

Solovey
09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
There is a logic in matchmaking that treat groups in PvP.
We just have to be careful here to balance between the fair match and reasonable time to wait for a match being started.

daloriot
09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
A gamebrowser, which shows who is actually playing a map and who is waiting for others to start a game would help in a paramount way.

OGNightHawk
09-21-2012, 12:13 PM
They had a sort of browser before that allowed for selection but there were ways to exploit it so that players could avoid and effectively bypass or unbalance the matchmaking so they removed it in favor of relying completely on the matchmaking. When there is a good population the matchmaking is great but as it is nobody wants to play with a bunch of red dots so a lot of the green pings that used to play moved on and refuse to return until something is done with all the laggers. There are a few of us green pingers who still stick around and hope, but when the majority of the population is allowed to red dot and lag all over the map, it is really tough to increase the population of local players with decent ping.

CptSolo
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
There is a logic in matchmaking that treat groups in PvP.
We just have to be careful here to balance between the fair match and reasonable time to wait for a match being started.

I know, but often it does not work or not good enough. Maybe it just cannot, because even the current population is too low.
And since I first started playing Crimecraft long ago, the group vs random issue is there and it is always causing anger.

The more you support solo players vs groups, the more attractive Crimecraft is.